Foods To Avoid
Your teeth may be a little sore for the first week in braces, so we recommend sticking to a soft food diet until the discomfort subsides. While in braces, you can still eat just about anything although there are a few exceptions.
For the most part common sense will tell you what to avoid. Hard foods, sticky foods and foods high in sugar should be avoided. Hard foods can break or damage wires and brackets. Sticky foods can get caught between brackets and wires and are really hard to clean off. Minimize sugary foods; they cause tooth decay and related problems.
Examples of Foods to Avoid:
- Chewy foods: bagels, hard rolls, licorice
- Crunchy foods: popcorn, ice, chips
- Sticky foods: caramels, gum
- Hard foods: nuts, candy
- Foods you have to bite into: corn on the cob, apples, carrots
- Chewing on hard things (for example, pens, pencils or fingernails) can damage the braces. Damaged braces will cause treatment to take longer.